Saturday, June 29, 2013

Settling In

Maintaining a blog requires even more labor and dedication than I thought.  As of last night, Rex and I were seriously considering letting this thing slide. I could just post photos and an occasional update on facebook, I thought to myself. And I still intend to do that, partly because I promised Cynthia Peacock I would--and that's enough reason alone.  Plus, I fully acknowledge that for 99.9 percent of my audience, anything more is overkill.

But damn it--I hate facebook!  I'm sure many of you have the same tortured relationship with the thing.  It's like an editor: can't live without it, can't shoot it.  My current beef is the increasingly unavoidable advertising.  Add to that the fact that facebook will not allow me change my current city to "No Permanent Address."  Can't sell any advertising off that city, eh? Anyhow, I am again resolved to here make record of our nomadic life.

But first, we need to catch up.  Rex has put together several posts about our activities since we arrived in the Tetons about one week ago. We'll be adding those over the next few days. In the interim, here's a synopsis of the action so far:
  • April 20th: sold our house in Austin; moved into a 30-foot fifth wheel travel trailer we purchased in January (luckily) for this purpose
  • May 20: left Austin and traveled north to see family and friends, perform some property maintenance, and install a solar array on top of the trailer
  • June 19: drove away from my parent's farm, heading west on US HWY 20 toward Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Park
  •  And no, I have not completed my dissertation, thank you for asking. I'm working on the fourth version of the conclusion, as the 3rd draft is "still awful," per my adviser.  Pray for me.  
    Still working--in the Teton County Library, Jackson, WY
     

No comments:

Post a Comment