Monday, August 5, 2013

Only a Fool... Mount Brown




The lookout is on the mountain behind the Red Bus 





The lookout is now visible
For my second solo hike, on Wednesday, I chose Mount Brown Fire Lookout while Colene kept coding. This time I picked what some told me was the hardest hike in the park. I don’t know about that, but it was a good workout. This trail was 5 miles up, gaining 4000 feet in elevation along the way. To put this hike in perspective, the climb is like walking the steps of the Empire State Building three times. The trail builders obviously didn’t want to waste time getting to the top, and probably used horses for most trips. At Mt Washburn lookout in Yellowstone, the ranger said he would stay on the mountain all summer and while others would bring him supplies.

Looking towards the southeast
I saw only one other couple hiking this trail. The lookout was not being used as a fire watch, so I had the whole deck to myself for lunch. I suppose most people want something easier. I think you will agree the views from this high are something else. 
The clouds hung in this valley all morning
I could see Granite Chalet in the binoculars
You can see all of Lake McDonald from here

No comments:

Post a Comment