Friday, May 23, 2014

The Conservative Case for the Parks

It rained most of the day in Bryce Canyon National Park, where Rex and I have been camping since Wednesday. Thankfully, we went for an excellent walk yesterday on the Fairyland Loop. But with a 70 percent chance of rain tonight, Saturday, and Saturday night,  our planned walk around the “Figure 8” seems doubtful. We shall see.

While stuck in the TI for most of the day (for which I am grateful—poor tent campers!) I stumbled upon the Department of Interior’s Instagram account. Rex and I have collected many incredible photos while trekking across the West, but none compare to the images found on this feed. Please check them out. As I explained to my friend Soo Hye this week, different things provoke feelings of patrotism in various people. The displays of nationalism at our sporting contests (think of fighter jets flying over the football stadium, for example) leave me cold. But these pictures make me very proud of the United States.

The only thing more moving than seeing these places is experiencing them, and I feel more committed to our country for having done so. Perhaps those who cannot accept the value of land conservation for the sake of sharing beauty with future generations could support protecting public places for this reason. To my way of thinking, our national parks and monuments are just as important to the health of our civic culture and public values as are the Jefferson Memorial, the Washington Monument, and Independence Hall.

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment